History of SCV in Oklahoma
                   

     Around 1890, Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory started on their way to statehood which would culminate with the merger of the two territories into the State of Oklahoma. Confederate veterans began settling in both territories and began forming camps of United Confederate Veterans.

     On July 1, 1896, twenty-four delegates assembled in Richmond, Virginia for the purpose of forming a ″national organization, adopting a constitution similar in every respect to that governing the United Confederate Veterans, and permanently organized under the name United Sons of Confederate Veterans″ (USCV). The preamble to the USCV Constitution read in part:

″To encourage the preservation of history, perpetuate the hallowed memories of brave men, to assist in the observance of Memorial Day, and to perpetuate the record of the services of every Southern Soldier″.

     With the formation of the USCV, later shortened to Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV), the organization would grow to many camps, learn from their fathers and in cooperation with the United Daughters of the Confederacy, care for the graves of Confederate veterans, erect many monuments to honor Confederate soldiers and perpetuate their memory with Confederate Memorial Day observances.

     With the United States entry into WWII, the Oklahoma SCV would slowly dwindle to comparatively few members, as most men, except for those too old, went off to war. Many camps went dormant. By the 1950s, Confederate descendants began rebuilding the Oklahoma SCV, re-chartering dormant camps, organizing and chartering new camps and gaining new members. The Oklahoma Division would produce many leaders in the Army of Trans-Mississippi as well as the National SCV.

     In 2004, the Oklahoma Division would incur much internal turmoil resulting in the loss of its charter. In 2006, the Oklahoma Division, under the leadership of Commander Leslie Tucker and Lt. Commander Harold Tydings, both long-time SCV members, and with a new Division Constitution, the Oklahoma Division was re-chartered based on our founding principles and our Charge given to the SCV by Lt General Stephen Dill Lee, in 1906.

     Today, the Oklahoma Division has come a great distance in recovering from the troubles of 2004. Ten years after re-chartering, the Division has nineteen camps and almost 400 members. We continue aggressive recruiting to increase our membership of dedicated Southern patriots who are committed to giving our Confederate ancestors the honor and respect they deserve and to the preservation of our Confederate heritage.
Oklahoma Division Confederate Monument - 
Rose Hill Cemetery, Ardmore
Unknown Confederate Soldier Memorial - 
Ft. Washita Confederate Cemetery

"My troops may fail to take a position, but are never driven from one."   
Lt. General Thomas J. Jackson


This site by  WebSiteGal.info  ©  Copyright 2012   All Rights Reserved